Sigh. I say this so often but these muffins are some of the best muffins I’ve ever made. They are great in an atypical way. Usually I like hearty, healthier muffins that are fruity and not too sweet (I don’t’ want to shock my tastebuds first thing in the morning with something overly buttery and sugary). These storebought-like muffins are straight-up decadent; the inside is light and fluffy like a cake and the top is a buttery crumb topping that I just can’t get enough of! But they’re actually not that bad when you look at the ingredients because it’s pretty similar to my healthier versions with just a little extra butter and no whole wheat mixed in. Pretty stellar considering that there is so much more flavor in them, thanks in large part to awesome berries at the Farmer's Market.
Blueberry Strawberry Muffins
· 6 Tbsp salted butter
· 1/3 cup whole milk
· 1 large egg
· 1 large egg yolk
· 1 tsp vanilla
· 1 1/2 cups flour
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 3/4 tsp salt
· 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup of diced strawberries
For the crumb topping:
· 3 Tbsp cold butter cut into small cubes
· 1/2 cup flour
· 3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 375
- Melt the butter and let cool slightly. Add egg yolk, egg, milk and vanilla and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add this to the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle some flour onto the berries and toss to coat. Then gently fold in the berries.
- Make the crumb topping. I cut the butter in with a knife until crumbly like pebbly sand. Divide the batter among 12 muffin liners and top with the crumb topping. It may seem like a lot of topping but go for it. It’s going to be awesome.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes.
Adapted from: http://bakedbree.com/blueberry-muffins
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! We are headed to San Diego tonight for some much needed R&R. See you on Monday. Wait, let's not think about Monday yet. See you soon!